Skip Navigation
 

 
 
This table is used for column layout.
 
 
 
 
History of Millbury
Millbury, Massachusetts, is the northernmost town in the Blackstone River Valley.  It is just south of Worcester, in central Massachusetts.  In the 19th century the towns of Millbury and Sutton, Massachusetts, were part of one Parish.  Millbury was known as Second Parish in Sutton.  The town of Sutton was so large it made travel from one part of town to the other a hardship.  It was decided that Sutton would split into two towns.  One of those towns became Millbury.
On January 11, 1813 the inhabitants of the North Parish continued to petition the General Court for an act of incorporation constituting them a separate town and the town vote "to oppose the prayers of the petitioners in the second Parish."  A committee of five was appointed to draw up a remonstrance against their application.
The remonstrance was prepared and reported, whereupon it was "Voted that the aforesaid remonstrance was agreeable, and that it be accepted," also "that the Representative of the town present the said remonstrance to the General Court." The remonstrance of the people of the south part of the town against the incorporation of the second parish into a new town proved unavailing.
After seventy five years of petitioning Boston, on June 11th, 1813, Governor Caleb Strong approved and made law the Act to Incorporate the North Parish in the Town of Sutton into a separate town by the name of Millbury.


 
 
Detail Detail
Town of Millbury, 127 Elm Street, Millbury MA 01527 (508) 865-4710