Skip Navigation

This table is used for column layout.
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs
The Fiscal 2018 Tax Rate is  $16.34 per thousand.

FISCAL 2018:  
Values are based on valid sales that transpired from January 1 through December 31, 2016; the new assessment for your property represents 100% of its approximate market value as of January 1, 2017.  

Please feel free to contact the Assessor’s Office if you have any further questions or need additional information regarding your assessment.  1-508-865-4732. Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

How do I find a-- value, a property’s owner,  or a map & parcel number?
You can obtain this information by clicking here

Why is the former owner’s name still on my tax bill?
This often confuses new owners, but Chapter 59, Section 11, of the Massachusetts General Law reads, “Taxes on real estate shall be assessed, in the town where it lies, to the person who is the owner on January first.......”

The tax bill will carry the January 1st owner(s) name throughout the entire subsequent fiscal year. The former owners’ name will be replaced by the new owner(s) name once the fiscal year has run its cycle.

After a change of ownership, how do I correct the name(s) on my tax bill?
In order to change a name or trustee’s name on a real estate tax bill, the Assessor’s Office must receive a copy of a recorded deed or newly recorded trustee document filed at the Worcester County Registry of Deeds or Land Court.

In order to remove a decedent’s name from a real estate tax bill, the Assessor’s Office requires a recorded copy of a Death Certificate or Inheritance Tax Release of Lien.  If the ownership is held as Tenancy by the Entirety or Joint Tenancy, the decedent’s name will be removed.  If the ownership is Tenancy in Common, the Assessor’s Office will make the change once the probate has been finalized.

In the event your name has changed, please provide the Assessor’s Office with the appropriately recorded document(s) from the Registry of Deeds or Land Court.

How do I change the mailing address on my tax bill?
Submit changes or corrections in writing to the Assessor’s Office via mail, facsimile, or in person during normal business hours. To insure accuracy, please include the Parcel ID (map and lot), property location, current owner of record, and new mailing address. All requests must be signed and dated. There is also a change of address form on the Assessors Web page or click here.

As a resident of the Town of Millbury, do I qualify for any tax relief?
As a resident of the Town of Millbury, you may qualify for a tax exemption. An exemption releases an individual from the requirement to a fraction of his/her property tax obligations.

Exemptions may be available to those individuals that meet the various requirements in the following categories:

Elderly -- If you are over 70; married, have assets below $50,689.00 (excluding the value of your domicile), and your total income is less than $44,803.00; or

if you are 70, and single, have assets below $44,277.00 (excluding the value of your domicile) and income less than $29,869.00 you may qualify for an elderly exemption. You may wish to contact the Assessor’s Office or the Senior Center for more information.

Blind -- If you are declared legally blind with the MA Commission for the Blind as of July 1st you may qualify for a blind exemption.

Disabled Veteran/Surviving Spouse -- If you are a disabled veteran with at least a 10 percent disablement or a surviving spouse of a disabled veteran, you may qualify for a veteran’s exemption.

Surviving Spouse/Minor Child(ren) -- You may wish to contact the Assessor’s Office if you feel you qualify for this exemption.  Assets cannot exceed $50,689.00 excluding residence.

NOTE: In all cases, you must establish residency and property ownership to be considered for a tax exemption.

Senior Citizen Property Tax Work-Off Abatement --The Town of Millbury does offer a Senior Work Off Abatement Program administered by the Council on Aging. Under this program you can work for the Town doing a variety of jobs and the payment for this service is a tax abatement or reduction on your real estate tax bill. You must be at least 60 years of age and meet certain eligibility requirements. Please contact the Council on Aging for more information at 508-865-9154.

I don’t qualify for the elderly exemption. Do I qualify for other assistance?
Massachusetts allows you to defer your taxes if you are 65 years old and meet certain ownership, residency, and income & asset qualifications.  This deferment places a lien on your property and taxes must be paid back with interest.

Additionally there is a financial hardship exemption for persons aged and infirmed, also meeting certain ownership, residency, and income & asset qualifications.  You may wish to contact the Assessor’s Office for more information.

Excise tax bills are created at the registry of motor vehicles.  The bills are then sent to the towns for mailing.  We, the assessors do NOT create these bills. We are here to help you with concerns and abatements.

I don’t have this vehicle anymore. Do I still have to pay this bill?
You may be entitled to receive a motor vehicle abatement on your auto excise.  In order to apply for a Motor Vehicle Excise Tax Abatement, first wait until you receive the bill, then contact our office.  At that time the Assessors will require proof from you that you disposed of the motor vehicle (or trailer) and the plate.

Following is a list of various reasons that would entitle you to an abatement. In order for an abatement to be granted, you must provide the Assessor's Office with a copy of your Plate Return Receipt or a new Registration from the Registry of Motor Vehicles, ALONG WITH:

If You Traded or Sold the Vehicle:
Provide a copy of the dealer’s sales contract, or a copy of the bill of sale.

If the Vehicle was Junked or Repossessed:
Provide a copy of the junk yard receipt or letter from the finance company stating when the vehicle was taken.

If the Vehicle is a Total Loss:
Provide a letter from your insurance company showing the accident date, and that they deemed the vehicle a total loss, or a police report l

If the Vehicle was Stolen:
Provide a letter from your insurance company showing the date of settlement, or a police report

If the Vehicle was Registered in Another State:
Provide a copy of the Out of State Registration.

If the Vehicle was Registered in Another Town in Massachusetts:
Your excise tax is due in the city or town in which your vehicle is primarily garaged on January 1st.  If you moved prior to January 1st, provide a copy of your current registration showing your new address.

It is necessary to provide the Assessors with a copy of the Plate Return Receipt from the Registry of Motor Vehicles; or if the plate was transferred to another vehicle, a copy of the new registration.

Please Note:
The minimum motor vehicle excise tax shall be $5.00;

No abatement shall reduce the motor vehicle excise tax to less than $5.00;

No abatement shall be issued on a motor vehicle excise tax bill for less than $5.00;

No abatement shall be granted on a registration that is cancelled in the month of December; and

Cancellation of license plate alone does not warrant an abatement of motor vehicle excise tax. If you are still in possession of the vehicle, you owe the tax through the end of the calendar year.

Some further notes:
All vehicles registered as of January 1st will receive a tax bill from the community in which your vehicle is garaged. You determine this at the time you register your vehicle.

If you move during the year to another city or town, it is the taxpayer’s responsibility to change his/her mailing address and vehicle’s place of garaging with the Registry of Motor Vehicles prior to January 1st, so that your future tax bills reach you at your new address.

To cancel the registration on any motor vehicle, the plates must be returned to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

If lost or stolen, you must fill out a lost plate affidavit at the Registry of Motor Vehicles, or contact a Branch Office.

Additional Registry of Motor Vehicle information can be obtained on the Official Website of the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles, here.

Filing for an abatement does not remove the taxpayer's obligation from paying the taxes.  To avoid charges and penalties, you should pay your tax and then file for an abatement.  A refund will follow, if granted.

Detail Detail
Town of Millbury, 127 Elm Street, Millbury MA 01527 (508) 865-4710